FireChat is a new social networking app that offers a new way to chat: “off-the-grid”. We’re skeptical, but basically is works on a framework based on location. This app has a lot of potential, so we are curious to see how it evolves! According to Gigaom, “Not only is it anonymous and ephemeral — conversation streams disappear as soon as the app is closed — it’s designed to create proximity-based hyperlocal networks. It uses Wi-Fi and Bluetooth links to connect to nearby devices without using the internet as an intermediary.”
Now you can chat with people around you – even if there is no Internet connection or mobile phone coverage. It just works and it’s free. Whether you’re on the beach or in the subway, at a big game or a trade show, camping in the wild or at a concert, or even abroad, simply fire up the app with a friend or two and find out who else is there. Get FireChat now and be ready for the next Burning Man, Wanderlust, SXSW, Super Bowl… or create your own community anywhere and start bringing people together.
Wait, how does this work without an Internet connection or any type of mobile coverage? The magic comes from one of Apple’s iOS 7 most advanced technologies: the “Multipeer” Connectivity Framework, which FireChat is built upon.
Welcome to a new era of open communications.
• Instantly message anyone around you on iPhone, iPad or iPod touch,
• Chat and share photos with one person or with a group,
• See what people are talking about everywhere, or create conversations that only people near you can join,
• Works even without any Internet connection or any type of mobile coverage
• “Nearby chat” works best within 30 feet of your location
• Easy: no Facebook or email login, no password to remember,
• Use it at home or when traveling anywhere in the world,
• No significant impact on battery consumption,
• FireChat is designed for iOS 7.